Sunday 9 May 2010

Pencil Sketch




My interest towards drawings started at a very early age. Our home being very far from the city and in a place where there were no other houses at that point of time (like 20 years ago), I pretty much grew up without any friends for quite a long time. This turned me towards activities like drawing, listening to music etc.

My mom used to have a lot of notebooks with embroidery designs. Those were on trace papers so as to help copying the design from paper to cloth. I use to keep a paper underneath and try to trace out all those designs. Later, I got some sketch books and tried drawing some stuff myself. During my teens, I was very much interested in drawing that I even thought that I can make a career in that. I tried some time with oil paints, water colors, poster paints etc.

When I was on a visit to an art museum, I met an artist named Rajagopal. I showed my drawings to him. He was quite impressed and he said that I possess the basic flow and if I undergo a proper training, I can become a good artist. But, that means a dedicated training for 3-4 years which will surely affect my regular education. I felt that it was not a wise option and decided to have it just as a hobby.

Some of my drawings were decorating our living room for a while. I also managed to get some prizes in competitions in my school. But, as I grew up, I couldn't spend much time for this hobby of mine. Nowadays, I really try it out very rarely and I find that I no longer have that patience to sit for many hours to finish a sketch.I also feel that I no longer have that fluency with my hands to create good sketches. But, I still have that basic interest in me to atleast appreciate a good sketch.

No comments:

Post a Comment